Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Terrible Blogger

I really suck at blogging.  I just don't do anything particularly interesting enough to justify letting the internet know.  My apologies.  However, I'm hoping that if I start writing about my crafting more, it will inspire me to actually craft a bit more.

I've been a bit lazy with my crafting lately.  Right now, I'm (slowly) working on the Isabeau Top, a pattern featured on the cover of Doris Chan's book Crochet Lace Innovations, which I highly recommend.  It was kinda funny, 'cause I couldn't figure out how the top was supposed to fit until I skipped stitches for the sleeves, and now it all makes sense.  This is only the second crochet garment I've worked on, so I still have a lot to learn when it comes to clothing construction.

For a beginning crocheter who has a firm grasp of the basic stitches (slip, single, half-double, double, etc.) and who wants to make an attractive garment, I really recommend Mary Jane Hall's Crochet That Fits.  The Checkered Hat Pattern that I've posted already is based off the methods laid out in this book.  By merely working stitches of different heights across a row, you can make a beautifully fitted garment without increasing or decreasing.  This means that the patterns are extremely simple to follow, and the main pattern is easily memorized for crocheting on the go.  What's better is that the side to side construction means that it's effortless to adjust for your own size and desired yarn substitutions by adding or substracting beginning chains.  I made the Cap-Sleeve Top on page 49 (also shown on the back cover) in Vanna's Glamour and was easily able to alter it to my specifications.  (Basically I just had to add beginning chains in order to add more stitches to accomodate my bust).  My finished product is immensely flattering and just gorgeous, and someday when it gets a bit warmer I'll add pictures.

In fact, aside from inspiring my Checkered Hat, Crochet That Fits has also inspired me to try to make a top for myself based on her techniques but using my own pattern.  I've bought the yarn I think I want to use, but it's still in the planning stages for now.  Hopefully it works out for me.

So anyway, I think this has turned out to be a pretty respectable blog post, which is good because I had no idea what I wanted to write when I started typing.  So this is dhaskoi, wishing you all a good night and happy crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment